ABIA GOVT INVOLVES BAKASSI BOYS
FOLLOWING the raging attacks of
communities across the country by Fulani Herdsmen, Abia State Governor,
Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu has approved the deployment of the State’s Vigilant
outfit, Bakassi Boys to all rural communities of the State.
The Governor also directed all monarchs
in the State to nominate 10 youths to the Local Government Commissioner
to join a planned intensive training of the Bakassi vigilante for onward
deployment to the rural communities. He said that they would assist in
community policing under the supervision of the police.
Okezie Ikpeazu Okezie Ikpeazu Ikpeazu
also mandated the law enforcement agencies to search and screen all
trucks and vehicles conveying live stocks, food items and persons into
the state from any part of the country as well as search and screen
markets and settlements where live stocks and dealers are to ensure
security.
The State Government has also
constituted Farmers/Herdsmen Conflict Resolution Committee in the 17
Local Government Areas of the state to be headed by the Local Government
chairmen with Divisional Police Officers in the councils, NSCDC heads,
the DSS Local Government Chiefs, Chairmen of Traditional Rulers Council
and Heads of Hausa communities in the councils as members. Governor
Ikpeazu’s action was prompted by a clash between solders and butchers in
Aba which led to the killing of two butchers and almost led to an
ethnic clash between Hausa/Fulani and other tribes.
A statement personally issued by the
Governor himself stated thus: “My dear brothers and sisters, I have been
informed of the very unfortunate incident that happened in Aba, the
commercial town of our dear state today, where a solider killed a
meat-seller at the popular abattoir located at the Ogbohill area of Aba.
I condemn the act that led to the
untimely death of this brother. I associate myself with his family in
this moment of pains and loss, even as I commiserate with traders in the
market.
The solider who perpetrated this act has
been arrested and taken into custody. “I call on the people of Abia,
especially those of us in Aba, to remain claim.
I reassure all citizens
of the state that the government is doing everything to protect lives
and property of citizens from any attack. “I have instructed and
equipped security agencies in the state to ensure watertight security
around our boarders and towns against any form of attack.
“I have directed that the men of the
Abia State Vigilante Services (AVS), popularly known as Bakassi, to
commence, with immediate effect, a two week intensive training, for
onward deployment to our communities to assist in community policing
under the supervision of the Commissioner of Police.
No comments